JOHANNESBURG- The South African government on Monday, withdrew its representative in Israel following deadly attacks in which armed Israeli forces killed over 40 civilians along the Gaza border.
The victims were taking part in a peaceful protest against the provocative inauguration of the US embassy in Jerusalem.
“Given the indiscriminate and grave manner of the latest Israeli attack, the South African government has taken a decision to recall Ambassador Sisa Ngombane with immediate effect until further notice,” said South Africa’s department of international relations and cooperation.
“The South African government condemns in the strongest terms possible the latest act of violent aggression carried out by Israeli armed forces along the Gaza border, which has led to the deaths of over 40 civilians. The victims were taking part in a peaceful protest against the provocative inauguration of the US [United States of America] embassy in Jerusalem.”
“Like other members of the international community, South Africa is disturbed by the latest deadly aggression and reiterates calls made by several member states of the United Nations for an independent inquiry into the killings, with a view to holding to account those who are responsible.”, the international relations and cooperation department said.
At least 1,700 Palestinian demonstrators were reportedly wounded on Monday along the border fence with Gaza as the mass protests that began on March 30, and that had already left dozens dead erupted anew.
This latest Gaza attack has resulted in scores of other Palestinian citizens reported injured, and the wanton destruction of property.