Multi-storey building caught fire in Germiston, no casualties


JOHANNESBURG, May 5 – A multi-storey building in the Germiston City centre caught fire and a total of 22 rooms burnt to ashes, the Ekurhuleni  Disaster and Emergency Management Services said.

Spokesman William Ntladi said the building caught fire at the corner of Park Road and Garden street Germiston on Friday afternoon, on International Firefighters Day.

He said members of the public drove to the Germiston Central Fire station to report the building which was well alight.

Ntladi said when Ekurhuleni Firefighters arrived on the scene, the middle storey of the three levels was “well alight and flames protruding through the windows spreading to the upper level as well”.

“First arriving crews promptly initiated defensive flame knockdown strategy while still awaiting a backup from neighbouring fire stations. Rapid intervention prevented the entire building from the harrow of blaze,” he said.

“As per information on scene, electric double plate stove was left unguarded while cooking. The entire floor caught alight because of wooden material used for partitioning. A total of 22 rooms burnt to ashes fuelled by a number of LPG cylinders which exploded during the active firefighting operations. No casualties or fatalities were accounted for because of the blaze.”

Ntladi said the scene was handed over to the South African Police Service for further investigations.

“Disaster and Emergency Management Services (DEMS) would like to encourage members of the public to memorise local emergency numbers to have effective service delivery during life-threatening emergencies,” Ntladi said.

“The challenge encountered on the scene was members of the public who attempted looting the shops at the ground floor and that interfered with our smooth operations hence law enforcement had to be called for safety purposes.”

– African News Agency (ANA)