Retired former five-weight boxing world champion, Floyd Mayweather says he never agreed to face Tenshin Nasukawa in an official bout and had “never heard” of the Japanese kickboxer.
Mayweather took to Instagram on Wednesday to refute reports of him officially stepping into the Octagon saying that the bout was pitched to him as “an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators” against an opponent who would be selected by the Rizin Fighting Federation.
“I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact, with all due respect, I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9-minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the “Rizen Fighting Federation,” said the retired American-boxer.
“This exhibition was previously arranged as a “Special Bout” purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived at the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately.
I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval”.
Mayweather further emphasized the fact that he has retired from boxing and depicted himself as “a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions”.