Adam Catzavelos case postponed

0
362

JOHANNESBURG, May 28 – The case against  Adam Catzavelos who has been charged with crimen injuria has been postponed to next month to give him time to appoint a defence lawyer.

Catzavelos appeared before the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday morning where he was told he has a right to appoint an attorney or can apply for legal aid. He told the court he will appear with his attorney at his next court date on June 13.

In August last year Catzavelos made headlines after a video showing him using the k-word to celebrate the fact that there were no black people around him on a beach holiday in Greece went viral. He was fired from the family business with immediate effect.

He publicly apologised for the damage his video had caused the country.

In a statement Catzavelos said: “I have watched my video and feel total shame. It is hard to put into words what I want to say and genuinely apologise.

“I don’t expect people to forgive me‚ but will spend the rest of my life repenting and trying to make up for my total lack of respect and judgment.”

Catzavelos will remain out on a warning until his next court appearance.

– African News Agency (ANA)