JOHANNESBURG- Two Correctional Services warders who were arrested on Thursday for aiding 16 awaiting trial prisoners to escape from the Johannesburg Correctional Services facility recently are set to appear in court.
Gauteng police spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said that an investigation into how the two aided the escape will be revealed during their appearance at the Johannesburg court on Friday.
“They were arrested on Thursday afternoon by the provincial detectives. They will be appearing in the Johannesburg court today on charges of assisting 16 prisoners to escape. We are continuing with the investigations, at this stage I cannot say if more warders were involved, but as the investigation continues it will reveal more information. If others were involved, they will be arrested. We are working with the Correctional Services department in our probe to establish exactly how the prisoners escaped,” he said.
This arrest of the two officials comes after a total of 16 inmates escaped from the prison facility on Monday last week. At the time, Correctional Services department explained that they escaped through a shaft pipe at around 03:00 after using an object to break the wall.
“At this stage, seven prisoners have been found. Two were shot dead. Five were re-arrested. Only nine prisoners are still at large,” Dlamini added.
The department said that seven of the escapees had been arrested for murder, three for rape and others for robbery and housebreaking.
Nkosiyazi Phungula, 27, Ntobeko Hlatswayo, 32, and Sabelo Ngubane,30, from Zimbabwe were all set to appear on murder charges last week.
While two inmates were recaptured in KZN, Ntobeko Hlatshawayo and Sabelo Ngubane were shot dead in that province following a shootout with the police.
Last month, six sentenced inmates escaped from Pollsmoor’ prison in Cape Town after removing bars with a piece of metal.