New wage offers in the bus striker to be revealed

0
723

Zodidi Mhlana

JOHANNESBURG- Trade union Satawu said that it was still consulting with its members about a revised offer that unions have received from the employer as the bus strike enters its fourth week.

Satawu spokesperson on Friday said that they would hold a media briefing to announce a new offer following a meeting between the unions and the employer.

“We were with the employers yesterday and the offer that we will announce later today comes from that meeting. We are consolidating what our members are saying and then we will meet as unions. The media briefing is at 3 pm,” Sabela said.

Earlier in the week, employers made an 8.75% wage for the first year and 8.25% for the second year. The unions then demanded 9% for the first year and 8% for the following year.

Over the past three weeks, several wage negotiations between have collapsed after the parties failed to reach an agreement.

About 17 000 bus drivers affiliated to South African Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu), National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) and other three unions downed tools in April after talks with employer organisations, Commuter Bus Employers Organisation and South African Bus Employers Association (Sabea) collapsed.

The industrial action left thousands of commuters struggling with transport.

Initially, unions demanded a 12% increase while the employers were offering seven %. The unions have been accused the employers of being “provocative and not willing to move from their position.”

Unions have also been unhappy about the issue of dual- bus drivers.

@Mhlana
zodidi.mhlana@18.202.123.161