By: Basa Mushi
Public Protector advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane has survived at least two attempts to be removed from office. Now, there’s even a more significant threat against her life.
Her office claims they received a strange phone call from a man, claiming he was hired to kill her. Mkhwebane confirmed to the Daily News that she lives in fear after a man – who claimed to be an assassin from the Eastern Cape – contacted her office numerous times. He allegedly alerted the office that he was “coming” for Mkhwebane
According to Mkhwebane, the hitman indicated that they were supposed to travel from the EC to Gauteng on Monday, August 16.
Mkhwebane said that although she and her staff continue being bullied and lived in fear, she has no plan to slow down in holding those in power accountable for corruption. She added that it was clear that those being investigated for serious misconduct were upset.
“We are resolute to soldier on, but I am very worried about the safety of all staff. My chief of staff has been in hospital for two months now. We need more hands-on-deck,” said Mkhwebane.
The alleged threat comes two weeks after a senior investigator in the public protector’s office survived a hail of bullets. The investigator declined to be named.
The public protector’s spokesperson Oupa Segalwe said that a man claimed a price was put on the public protector’s head.
“An Eastern Cape man contacted the office a number of times on Friday, August 20, 2021, claiming that hitmen were hired to carry out the hit. He did not say why. The claim has been brought to the attention of the SAPS VIP Protection Unit for investigation,” said Segalwe.
In another case, an unknown assailant shot and wounded a senior investigator at around 6 pm on Saturday, August 14, 2021, in Silverton, Pretoria.
“The attacker pounced while the investigator sat in his car, not far from the Silverton Police Station, and opened fire on him. The car was stationary at the time of the attack. He was hit several times in the lower body and was later admitted to the hospital, where he underwent an operation. The attacker did not demand money, his valuables, or the car,” said Segalwe.
He added that a case had been opened with the Silverton police.
The story was initially published by Daily News