Hoërskool Driehoek to be closed with immediate effect

0
776

JOHANNESBURG, February 1 – The Gauteng department of education on Friday said the Hoërskool Driehoek in VanderbijlPark where a walkway collapsed killing three pupils and injuring more than 20, would be closed immediately for safety reasons.

“There won’t be schooling until further notice,” said Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi.

Lesufi said about 26 pupils suffered injuries, including the girl and two boys who died when the walkway collapsed.

“So far we have managed to identify one deceased learner. The remaining two we are still trying to identify and notify next of kin,” said Lesufi.

He said that counselling would be provided to all learners, parents and officials on the school grounds. Lesufi said an instruction had been issued that no learner would be refused medical assistance just because they did not have medical aid.

“It breaks my heart to see those innocent souls, bodies still lying there,” Lesufi said.

He urged law enforcement agencies to complete their work so that the bodies of the deceased could be released to the families.

He said it was heartbreaking to see learners in tears and every learners would receive counselling.

“On behalf of Gauteng government we send our condolences to the affected families and wish those injured a speedy recovery,” said Lesufi.

“I would like to thank all emergency services and community members who came to assist.”

The MEC said that some of the surrounding roads would be temporarily closed and asked residents to be understanding.

“We are doing this for our children.” (ANA)