High Court orders ANC to reinstate Mahumapelo-led North West PEC

0
465

PRETORIA, February 13 – African National Congress secretary general Ace Magashule was on Wednesday directed by the High Court in Pretoria to ensure that the ruling of February 6 — in which which Judge Fayeeza Kathree-Setiloane ordered that Supra Mahumapelo and his disbanded provincial executive committee (PEC) be reinstated within two days of her order — be implemented immediately.

“The secretary general of the first respondent, the African National Congress, Mr Elias [Ace] Magashule is directed to take immediate and appropriate steps to ensure compliance with the court order of 6 February 2019. The first respondent is to pay the cost of this application consequent on the employment of two counsel. It is so ordered,” Kathree-Setiloane ruled in a packed court.

Cheers erupted soon after the judgement, with a crowd of ANC members chanting “Viva Supra, viva!”

Presiding in the High Court in Johannesburg last week Kathree-Setiloane ruled that said the decision made by the ANC to disband the North West PEC was unlawful and unconstitutional.

Former North West ANC chairperson and premier, Mahumapelo and four other officials were challenging the national ANC’s decision to disband the PEC.

Kathree-Setiloane ordered that Mahumapelo and his PEC be reinstated within two days of her order and that the ANC should pay the legal costs.

“The decision of the ANC, made on August 31, 2018, to disband the North West provincial executive committee is declared unlawful and set aside,” Kathree-Setiloane said at the time.

On Wednesday, Mahumapelo and four other applicants had approached the court on an urgent basis, asking for an enforcement of last week’s ruling, which had favoured them against the ANC decision to disband the PEC. (ANA)