Duduzane Zuma denies being guilty of any crime

0
800

Zodidi Mhlana

JOHANNESBURG- Duduzane Zuma who has been charged with corruption has denied committing any criminal act saying he intends pleading not guilty to any charge against him.

Duduzane declared his innocence in an affidavit written in Dubai and submitted to be part of his corruption case.

“I am, however, aware of various allegations emanating from various sources generally relating to what has come to be known as the state capture in which issues I have been alleged to have been involved. I deny that I am guilty of any criminal acts in relation to these averments,” he wrote.

The son of former president Jacob Zuma was released on R100,000 bail on Monday after appearing in the Specialized Commercial Crimes Court. In the affidavit, he disclosed that he had been living in Dubai since February this year.

Former president Jacob Zuma’s son, Duduzane has been charged with corruption, with an alternative count of conspiracy to commit corruption.

The charge against Duduzane relates to the bribe offered to the former Deputy Finance minister Mcebisi Jonas two years ago.

Duduzane was released on stringent conditions which require him to report to a police station on a weekly basis. He has also been asked to hand over his passport to an investigative officer. Duduzane is also required to alert the investigative officer when he plans on leaving town.

Two years, ago Jonas revealed that Ajay Gupta had offered him a post of Finance Minister and R600m bribe in exchange for executive decisions that would favor their businesses.

Jonas said that the offer was made to him at the Gupta compound in Saxonwold in the presence of Duduzane and Fana Hlongwana. The former deputy minister also said that Ajay said that the family was planning to increase the money it had made from the state from R6 billion to R8 billion.

His case was postponed until January, 24 next year while investigations into the case are continuing. The state said that there was a possibility that more players might be charged.

His legal team made it clear that it was not happy with the long postponement claiming the case against was weak.

@Mhlana
zodidi.mhlana@18.202.123.161