PORT ELIZABETH, September 25 – The Eastern Cape health department on Wednesday condemned the latest attack on an ambulance crew and a student in Port Elizabeth
Department spokesman, Sizwe Kupelo said the paramedics and a student, who was an intern with the crew, were accosted and robbed of a cellphone by two unknown armed men on Tuesday.
Kupelo said they were allegedly attacked while waiting for the traffic light to turn green at the Daku Road and Seyisi Street, in Port Elizabeth.
Kupelo said at the time of the attack, the crew had been traveling from Motherwell with patients.
No one was injured.
“While no physical harm was inflicted on the crew, such uncalled for attacks on emergency medical services members, are continuing unabated.”
“These attacks are condemned with the contempt they deserve. We would like to call on communities to work with the police so that the criminals wanting to create no-go zones for ambulance crews face the full might of the law.”
Kupelo said ambulance crews were targeted on a weekly basis and the department hoped police would treat such cases with urgency.
Just over a week ago, paramedics in Nelson Mandela Bay were attacked and robbed in Joe Slovo.
Members of the crew, one of whom was injured when the driver’s side window of the ambulance was smashed, were treated for their injuries and received counselling for their ordeal.
It was alleged that three unknown men appeared from the dark and approached the ambulance.
– African News Agency (ANA)