Ajay Gupta’s warrant of arrest withdrawn

0
361

JOHANNESBURG – The directorate for priority crime investigation (better known as the Hawks) on Friday confirmed that the warrant of arrest issued against Ajay Gupta has been withdrawn.

This comes after corruption charges against Duduzane Zuma were provisionally withdrawn in the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court in Johannesburg last month.

The authorities had sought to question Gupta on allegations that he tried to bribe former deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas during a meeting set up by Duduzane Zuma.

Last year, Jonas told the state capture commission that he was offered R600 million at that meeting to take up the post of finance minister in 2015 but he turned it down.

At the time, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said that it was unable to continue with the case for now because Jonas’ evidence at the Zondo commission has not yet been finalised.

Gupta had maintained that he was not a fugitive in South Africa after the asset forfeiture unit, the SA Revenue Services (Sars) and the police raided his family compound in Saxonwold last year. (ANA)