Agrizzi says donation did not go to individuals in ANC’s top six, but to party

0
420

CAPE TOWN, March 29 – Bosasa whistleblower and corruption accused Angelo Agrizzi on Friday said the money given to the governing African National Congress (ANC) was not given to individuals but was meant for the party.

During his testimony at the state capture commission of inquiry on Thursday, Agrizzi said he knew of millions of rands donated several years ago to the ANC top six — referring to the party leadership.

“I know of large donations given to the top six at one stage of 10 to R12 million cheques that were taken there…,” Agrizzi had said.

On Friday, deputy chief justice Raymond Zondo, commission chairman, asked Agrizzi to clarify whether the money went to individuals.

The former Bosasa chief operations officer said he did not mean to “confuse” the commission, saying he had been told a delegation had made a presentation to the top six and then handed over a cheque meant for ANC coffers and not personal bank accounts.

“I’m not saying it went to people,” said Agrizzi.

He did tell the commission that a paper trail could be found as the money was drawn from a Bosasa account. (ANA)