JOHANNESBURG, November 5 – A man charged with the murders of seven members of the Khoza family in Vlakfontein, abandoned his bail application in the Lenasia Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
His co-accused will apply for bail next week.
Magistrate Maggie Van Der Merwe said the crime of murder is a schedule six offence and the court was not in a position to grant bail immediately.
Accused number one, Ernest Mabaso, 27, who allegedly claimed he was the son of a dead relative of the Khozas to gain access to the family, opted to withdraw his bail application.
His co-accused Fita Khupe, 61, has insisted on applying for bail and Magistrate Van Der Merwe said she would hear the application next week.
During the brief appearance the court heard that the suspects were foreign nationals from Mozambique and Zimbabwe. This still needed to be verified. The state prosecutor said Mabaso had entered the country illegally.
Last week on Monday, October 29 neighbours alerted police to a foul smell coming from the Khozas house in Vlakfontein, south of Johannesburg. The police broke down the door and made the gruesome discovery.
Seven bodies had been concealed with piles of sand on the floor. There were blood stains on the wall.
Neighbours, relatives, friends and the MEC for safety Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane were among the people in the packed gallery.
The case was postponed to November 12 for Khupe’s formal bail application.
They were remanded in custody and have been separated. One will be kept at the Johannesburg Correctional Services centre while the other will be kept at the Johannesburg Central police station.
The seven victims were laid to rest on Sunday at Mountain Rise cemetery in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal. (ANA)