18.6 C
South Africa
Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Health and Education

Health and Education

PRETORIA, March 8 - Police on Friday warned the public to refrain from the "senseless and reckless circulation" of the video of the shooting and wounding of a man who had been breaking windows at Mmametlake Secondary School, in Mpumalanga. In the video that went viral on Thursday, the man can be seen brazenly smashing windows. When a police van arrives he...
PORT ELIZABETH, March 7 - Nelson Mandela University (NMU) students blocked the entrances at the South and North Campus on Thursday, the second day of a protest mainly over funding and registration. The students are angry that some of them have been barred from registering over non-payment of fees, even though the government has pledged free tertiary education for learners...
DURBAN, March 7 – The 33-year-old taxi driver who ploughed into four Durban schoolgirls on Wednesday, killing three and seriously injuring one, is set to appear in court for the first time on Thursday. KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson, lieutenant-colonel Thulani Zwane, said the suspect would appear at the Ntuzuma Magistrate’s Court on charges of culpable homicide. The girls were hit at around...
PORT ELIZABETH, March 6 - The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (Nsfas) is concerned following media reports about non-payment of allowances for students at the University of South Africa (Unisa). "Nsfas would like to put it on record that students from this institution should have by now received their allowances as a total of R247 078 688.97 was advanced to...
PORT ELIZABETH, March 6 - Presenting her R132.4 billion budget for the 2019/2020 financial year, Finance MEC Barbara Creecy on Tuesday said the budget would favour the most vulnerable in society, with the bulk of it allocated to health, education and social services. “The budget sets out how provincial government fund its commitment to transform the economy and create jobs, support...
PRETORIA, March 4 - Thousands of students from the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) marched from the Soshanguve north campus to the south campus on Monday morning, demanding that all National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) beneficiaries who reside on campus be given meal allowances directly. They want the money paid into the bank accounts of students directly. The students formed a chain as...
PRETORIA, March 3 - A woman was seriously burnt in building fire in Sunnyside in Pretoria late of Saturday afternoon, paramedics said. Netcare 911 paramedics responded at about 4.20pm to reports of a building on fire in Plein Street in Sunnyside, Pretoria, Netcare 911 spokesman Shawn Herbst said. "Reports from the scene indicate that the top floor of a four-storey building...
JOHANNESBURG, February 26 - Fund manager Vunani said on Tuesday its subsidiary Telos had concluded a deal to acquire 67 percent of Metropolitan Life Swaziland for R55 million, subject to regulatory approval. The remaining balance of 33 percent will continue to be held by Eswatini Development and Savings Bank which originally invested in MetLife Swaziland in 2010. Vunani said the acquisition...
JOHANNESBURG, February 26 - Dr Sipho Kabane has been formally appointed a chief executive officer and registrar of the Council for Medical Schemes after acting in the position for a year, the organisation said on Tuesday. The CMS is an autonomous statutory body created by parliament to regulate medical schemes in South Africa. "The appointment of Dr Kabane comes at a critical...
DURBAN, February 18 –  Economic Freedom Fighters’ (EFF) student leaders at Durban University of Technology (DUT) are expected to lead a march through the city centre on Monday, and have said they 'will deal decisively’ with those trying to attend lectures as the academic programme resumes. The march is set to start at 8 am from DUT and end at...

HOT NEWS

- Advertisement -

MOST POPULAR

south africa ,sa
clear sky
18.3 ° C
23 °
16 °
83%
0.5kmh
0%
Tue
28 °
Wed
18 °
Thu
18 °
Fri
15 °
Sat
19 °